- Sega Master System
A creature born in the Chambers of Creation seeks revenge against his masters... you would too if they made you look like you're half man, half goat! Now, you can guide this mutant warrior through one of the toughest action/adventure games ever programmed to eventual victory or failure. Either way you'll be in... the Shadow of the Beast.
The Shadow Knows
Electronic Arts has converted Psygnosis's Amiga version of this popular game for the Genesis and virtually nothing has been lost in the process. That means you get far-out graphics and thumb-busting challenge. This one-player game is fairly straightforward. You fight your way through each level and in the process, hopefully, find the items you need to beat the stage boss.
You cross some pretty weird territory, but it looks great. The perspective is side-view, multi-scrolling. What's unusual and spectacular about the graphics is that the horizontal scrolls include parallax scrolling, that is, the foreground moves at a different rate of speed than the backgrounds!
There are five stages total. Most of the action takes place either above or below the ground, but you'll also do battle inside a castle and fight your way through space. Part of what makes this game such a hard nut to crack is the horde of creatures you fight -- approximately 132 different types of foes such as a flock of flying, bloodshot eyeballs, bright orange dragons who spit napalm, and headless hunchbacks with gore where their heads used to be.
- Shoot the Blue Globe in the statue's hand several times to get a lightning shot.
- Touch the "Don't Touch" switch once to clear the force field around the power punch.
- In Stage 3, get the wrench first, then get the Plasma Rifle. Other factors contribute to this game's toughness factor. It's an extremely linear adventure; miss one key item and you're dead, and, you only have one life. And two key areas border on insane: the upper end of the castle in level three and most of level four.
- In Stage 4, the strength potions are in green blobs at the fool of the screen.
- In Stage 5, there are two areas with groups of three strength potions, but the center one actually makes you LOSE strength.
Not for the Faint of Heart
This handsome beast will drive you wild. It showcases some of the best Genesis artwork ever. The music is fantastic even though it should have been in stereo. For better or for worse, Shadow is very, very hard. Your frustration level must be low and your talent level high to beat this game. Shadow of the Beast is a real animal.
Shadow of the Beast DownloadsShadow of the Beast download
If you like Shadow of the Beast, try other games
Altered Beast Venture back to a time when gods ruled the Earth and gladiators fought for their honor. Transform into savage beasts and destroy your enemies.
Alien Soldier You play as a strange bird-like creature and you can select 4 weapons to use, each with their own different abilities and drawbacks.
Shadow of the Beast